Forte Data Solutions Relies on NETSCOUT to Monitor AWS Cloud-based Applications
- End-users were experiencing slowdowns, instability and intermittent freezes within critical AWS cloud-based application, as well as timeouts while creating reports
- Overall user experience greatly diminished, creating frustration for end-users
- AWS administrators noticed that the Scaling Group was regularly scaling in and out the number of active RAC nodes, exceeding threshold levels
- Database backups were delayed and some were outright failing
- Ongoing and unresolved issues caused increased stress for the IT team
- vSTREAM™ agents were deployed along with virtual nGenuisONE® in the AWS infrastructure
- Monitoring configured to analyze networks on Apache, Oracle, and Java application ports
- Dashboard workflows provided immediate insights into database, web, applications and their dependencies revealing root cause of persistent scaling, source of persistent latencies on both web servers, and reason for multiple Java and embedded SQL related errors
- Eliminated slowdowns, instability and intermittent freezes in the application, thus ending delays in generating and sending out statistical reports to key stakeholders
- Curtailed revenue losses associated with late reports and lost productivity
- IT gained ability to uncover web, database, and application errors quickly and easily
- Ensured highest quality end-users work experience when using critical application
Forte Data Solutions delivers professional services, managed services and integrated technology offerings that address customers’ most complex data challenges. They have successfully built and delivered integrated technology solutions for organizations of all sizes throughout the world.
As experts in migrating database, application, and storage infrastructures to virtual cloud environments, Forte Data Solutions’ reputation depends on the seamless and reliable performance of its solutions. End-users of the company’s web-based statistical application, which is used for generating stat reports, started to experience slowdowns when running queries, instability and intermittent freezes within the application, and timeouts while creating reports. Users reported that saving work was taking longer than usual, thus causing reports to be delayed, which directly impacted other key stakeholders. These issues made the overall user experience far more difficult, ultimately frustrating end-users and costing the company lost revenue.
As the overall load of the application was continuously growing, the data stored in an Oracle database and running on multi-node Real Application Cluster (RAC), was placed in a Scaling Group so activity peaks could be easily satisfied by automatically scaling out new RAC nodes once CPU and RAM usage thresholds were exceeded. However, AWS administrators noticed that the Scaling Group was regularly scaling in and out the number of active RAC nodes beyond the established limit. This was having a huge impact on the overall behavior of the database, causing frequent CloudWatch alarms to be raised, and making monitoring essentially unusable. In addition, database backups were delayed, while some were outright failing.
All of these ongoing and unresolved issues led to an increased overall stress for the IT team, who were responsible for ensuring the performance of the cloud environment and the applications running within it.
Solution in Action
Forte Data’s IT team turned to NETSCOUT® to address its AWS monitoring challenges. NETSCOUT vSTREAM agents were deployed along with virtual nGenuisONE in the corresponding AWS infrastructure. Monitoring was configured to analyze networks on Apache, Oracle, and Java application ports.
The nGeniusONE dashboard workflows provided immediate insights into database, web and application details and their dependencies. Database monitoring revealed evidence of persistent scaling in and out, while web monitoring uncovered persistent latencies on both web servers, eliminating the RAC cluster as the root cause. Application session analysis showed multiple Java and embedded SQL related errors pointing to version-related issues after Java upgrades. Armed with these invaluable insights, the IT team was able to revert to a previous Java version. Once this fix was applied, errors disappeared and the RAC Scaling Group returned to normal threshold usage.
The NETSCOUT monitoring solution has been a true success story for Forte Data Solutions. As a result, IT is now enabled to proactively monitor and troubleshoot application performance in the AWS environment. The nGeniusONE dashboard workflows allowed IT to immediately identify the root cause of issues, leading to rapid resolution, thus dramatically reducing the Mean-Time-To-Knowledge (MTTK).
By resolving issues quickly, Forte’s IT team was able to achieve critical benefits, including:
- Eliminating slowdowns, instability and intermittent freezes in the application, thus ending delays in generating and sending out statistical reports to key stakeholders
- Curtailing revenue losses associated with late reports and lost productivity
- Gaining the ability to uncover web, database, and application errors quickly and easily
- Ensuring the highest quality end-users work experience when using the application